26 February 2010

Seven days without

I am giving up soda. Not forever. Not even for a month. But for a week. Technically, my week started yesterday, but I'm going to have my first soda on my drive home next Friday.

I love Mountain Dew. So much so that I've even made a ranking system of what Dews I like best (Fountain Dew, in a can, in a small bottle, in larger bottles... but never bad fountain dew or off-brand.) Almost two years ago, I would have one soda a day, usually a can, so 12 ounces. And somewhere along the line, I started having two a day. And then three. Until recently, I've just been drinking a soda whenever I happen to be slightly thirsty. And I just don't love it anymore. I used to take a lot of pleasure in my one soda a day. It was my treat. But now, it is nothing special. And I want that specialness back!

Hence my giving up soda. Yesterday was my detox day, and it was awful! I crashed about 1pm. I was just dead tired and had a somewhat horrible head ache. Luckily, it went away and hasn't come back.

I find it slightly amusing that I am doing this during Lent, although I'm sure their sacrifice isn't so they can reclaim the pleasure of something. But perhaps the fact that many other people are giving up things that they may like or enjoy just opened the way for me to do the same. So while the Catholics are giving up chocolate, or meat, or alcohol for their god, I am giving up Mt. Dew for myself! Who knows, maybe after this week is over, I just won't want it anymore. (Doubtful!)

5 comments:

  1. I know what you mean. Soda can be addicting and put on the pounds. When I gave up smoking 7 1/2 months ago, I stared drinking a pepsi a day...not realizing that, in time, it would just become anothr addiction that I HAD to have everyday...and like you, I really feel it when I don't have it.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use to drink coke like it was going out of style. Then I gave up caffeine and went to drinking sprite. Then somewhere after I had my children and tired of lack of sleep, I started drinking Dr. Pepper. Gave that up last year and went back to Sprite. Now I just don't care much for any type of soda. I would rather drink tea or water now.

    Good Luck on giving it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's awesome that you're giving something up so that you can appreciate it for what it is...a treat. I wish I could do that with my sugar habit....maybe I'll try in the Summer when all that yummy fresh fruit is in abundance and I would rather reach for a peach than a piece of chocolate cake.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read in care 2 healthy and green that lent used to be a pagan pracice. I have n't researched it much but it always fascinates me when i discover pagan practices that have been adapted and then totally christianised.
    I want to know more about your detox. I am trying to lose weight and i am looking for ideas. Today i went for second day straight to the gym. This has n't happened for years. That's something.
    Brightest blessings*

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dew used to be one of my vises. It was a hard one to give up. Found out it has more caffiene than any of the other run of the meal soft drinks. Of course now they have some pretty heavy duty stuff on the market. Your headache was probably due to caffeine withdrawal. Maybe you can find a drink that replaces mountain dew that lacks the caffiene. And here I sit slurpin down a Coke trying to give abstinance advise. X.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment! I love hearing others' ideas! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...