23 April 2010

Earth Day (late)

Yes, I know I'm a day late.

No, I didn't forget--I just had other things on my mind.

So I'm going to take the time today to just make a list of the little things I do to live a more ecologically-minded life.

I ride my bike. Not so much during the winter, but during the summer, spring and fall, I tend to only use my car when I'm traveling long distances or going grocery shopping.

I line-dry my clothes. And considering I live in an apartment right on the square, I think this is quite an accomplishment: thank the gods for a big bathroom! I use a drying rack, and two shower curtain rods.

I wash my clothes in cold water.

I use reusable shopping bags (most of the time.)

I have my TV, DVD player, and Wii hooked up to a power strip that I can flip off when not using these items. The TV still sucks power even if it isn't turned on: NOT COOL.

I shop at thrift stores and second hand shops for the majority of my clothes. The only things that I absolutely have to buy new are socks, underwear, bras, and jeans. The first three for obvious reasons, and jeans because I buy special ones that fit my long legs, and those are really hard to find in thrift stores.

I buy local milk in reusable glass jugs. Yeah, it's a bit more expensive, but A) I like to think that it tastes better and B) it's better for the environment.

I recycle, including old clothes. I have a big bag full of onesies and tees from when Cam was a baby that I'm planning on turning into a quilt, a bag of some of my old tees which I will someday turn into either rags for cleaning or braid them into a rug, and two pairs of jeans who's new uses are as of right now undetermined.

Well, eight things isn't bad. Not great, but not bad. I do more, I'm sure, but many of these are things I just do. It no longer requires the thought of "oh, this is good for the Earth, so I'll do it." It's become a part of my everyday life and routine, which is how it should be.

Also, a couple of weeks ago, I mentioned that I was plotting something... And I am pleased to announce that tomorrow, my dear readers, you will learn what it is! *cue much excitement!*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment! I love hearing others' ideas! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...