04 October 2009

Progressive

In my search for a "brand" of Christianity that I could fit into, I found instead a movement that spoke to me: progressive Christianity. It is a very accepting movement, one with people who realise that the path of Yeshua is not necessarily for everyone. That Christ's supper should be shared with all, not simply believers (or, like some churches, only members of that church/denomination). I love this movement, because I know that these progressive Christians would accept me as a Witch or as a Christian. I don't know that they'll accept me as a Christopagan, but I've come to the point where I realize my religious choices are ultimately between myself and God(dess). Being a Witch/Pagan allows me to feel closer to God than being a Christian alone. I have so many ideas and assumptions associated with what it means to be a Christian; embracing a Pagan world-view allows me to look beyond those assumptions and embrace the Divine. It allows me to look beyond the judgment and hostility I've felt from the Christian community and into the eyes of God to see the future S/He's set before me.

I embraced the progressive Christian movement, because it was the most liberal idea of Christianity I could find. It allowed me to embrace that witchy side of myself (subconsciously.) Now that I am identifying as a Christopagan, and fully embracing both the "Christian" and "Pagan" parts of myself, I still fully agree with the Eight Points of the progressive movement (especially the 6th!) I am now, obviously, a Christian out loud as well as in my heart.


31-3-09

"I am a Christian who has found an approach to God through the life and teachings of Jesus Christ.

I am a Christian who recognizes the faithfulness of other people who have other names for the way to God's realm, and acknowledge that their ways are true for them, as my way is true for me.

I am a Christian who understands the sharing of bread and wine in Jesus' name to be a representation of an ancient vision of God's feast for all peoples.

I am a Christian who invites all people to participate in my community and worship life without insisting that they become like me in order to be acceptable

I am a Christian who knows that the way I behave toward other people is the fullest expression of what I believe.

I am a Christian who who finds more grace in the search for meaning than in absolute certainty, in the questions than in the answers.

I am a Christian who believes in communities dedicated to equipping one another for the work we feel called to do: striving for peace and justice among all people, protecting and restoring the integrity of all God's creation, and bringing hope to those Jesus called the least of his sisters and brothers.

I am a Christian who recognizes that being a follower of Jesus is costly, and entails selfless love, conscientious resistance to evil, and renunciation of privilege."

I am a Christian, in my heart if not out loud.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment! I love hearing others' ideas! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...