12 October 2009

Apple Breakfast Bread... sort of

INGREDIENTS

* 1/2 cup butter
* 1 cup sugar
* 2 eggs
* 2 cups all-purpose flour
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
* 2 apples - peeled, cored and chopped

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease an 8x4 inch loaf pan.
2. In a bowl, mix the butter and sugar until smooth and creamy. Beat in the eggs.
3. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and cloves. Mix into the butter mixture until moistened. Fold in the apples. Transfer to the prepared loaf pan.
4. Bake 1 hour in the preheated oven, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 15 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.


This is the basic recipe I started with. I decided on apple bread because I bought Cam a granny smith apple that he decided not to eat, probably because it was soo sour!! Anyway, as you can see, the recipe calls for two apples, and I only had one. :( But! I had half a zucchini left over from dinner earlier! Apple and zucchini. Life just does not get any better than that! I also left out the cloves because I didn't have any. And I grated the the apple and zucchini. But those are the only changes! Scouts honor!

And let me say, this was delicious! Even better than banana bread. The best part was that Cam helped me mix everything. Even though he tends to make about ten times the mess I do, I love having him help me cook, and I think he enjoys doing it. Except that he doesn't like eating what we cook! I really can't figure it out. He was all sorts of excited about the bread until it came out of the oven and cooled enough that we could eat it. Then I barely got him to try one bite! Oh, the fickleness of children! It's almost as bad as the fickleness of adults.

And now I have to go, because he's trying to make a grilled cheese. lol

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment! I love hearing others' ideas! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...