19 March 2010

Reading and SPRING!

When Camden and I read books, it usually consists of me reading through the book, then picking up another one and reading through that one. Sometimes I'll point to a picture and ask him to tell me what it is, or I'll ask him to point at something on the page.

However, last week I bought Dinner Games, which is a game that you play at dinner. Obviously. It comes in a little tin with 51 cards that have fun dinnertime activities or games. Well, a few of these are stories that someone reads, and there are questions about what happened in the story, the names of certain characters, etc. It really made me think about the way I read to Camden, and whether he's actually taking the story in. Because when we did the dinnertime story, he was unable to answer any of the questions about a story that was maybe ten sentences long.

So I think it's time to start working on his critical thinking skills! He seems pretty excited about Ostara tomorrow, goodness only knows why, so I read him a story about why the hare brings eggs to the children. I also told him that if he goes to bed on time, the hare might bring him some goodies. My mom always hid our spring baskets (okay, Easter baskets) and it was always exciting waking up and trying to find them. I'm going to hide his spring basket with a trail of little chocolate eggs and bunnies leading to it. Now I just have to figure out where to hide it.

Speaking of Ostara, tomorrow is the first day of Spring! And it's supposed to snow here. Oh, the irony! It was 58 degrees today and tomorrow's forecast is calling for a high of 34 I think. Something is horribly, horribly wrong. Ah, well, soon the snow will be but a memory, and I'll be cursing the heat.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment! I love hearing others' ideas! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...