28 December 2009

my attempt

It's ironic that my being a Christian was a phase, when my parents were convinced that I would turn away from Paganism years ago. It's been a surprisingly short phase, too, since I only started considering myself a Christian in March or April. When I told my boyfriend (and later my mother) that it just wasn't working out, both asked me why and "what about it isn't working out?" And I couldn't come up with an answer. It's like trying to tell why you prefer one food or colour or hairstyle over another.

But this is my attempt:

As a Christian, I missed god. The Christian god is supposed to be personal, but I always felt disconnected from Him. Maybe because of the traditions and connotations that come along with Christianity. You talk to God in church. You worship God in church. You praise God in church. You talk about and learn about God... in church. Christianity, to me, feels like what I want to call a "building religion." Yes, congregations will still gather together if their church building is destroyed in a disaster, but that seems like the only time anyone ever espouses the notion that a church is the congregation and not the building.

As a Pagan, I see god in everything. I worship god at every step of the day, because the simple act of living is a way to praise the gods and give thanks. "All acts of love and pleasure are my ritual" as says the Charge of the Goddess. Observing nature becomes a way of observing god. As I watch the changing of the seasons, I see the life, death, and rebirth of the gods. When I see a new plant thrusting forth from the earth, I see the promise and gift of new life. God is not contained in a book. God is not contained in a building. The gods reveal themselves in all that is around us.

It seems I truly am a witch at heart. I tried very hard to be a Christian, and I very much wanted to be one. Even knowing there were other Christopagans wasn't enough to keep me bouyed in my journey. I still lack the words to explain why I chose Paganism over Christianity and even Christiopaganism. It's just... Paganism is what I know, it's what I'm comfortable with, it's what I believe. I don't have to compromise.
I know my mother is really disappointed in me, that I've "regressed" into my witchy self. Maybe she's geniunely upset by it. I don't know how my boyfriend feels... He hasn't said anything about it since I told him. I haven't told anyone else. Like I said in an earlier post, it's slightly embarrassing, because now I have to retract all those statements of "Hey, I'm a Christian now!" It's entirely possible that I could have continued on as a "Christian." But, I prefer honesty. I have to be true to myself. And I have to be true to the world.

2 comments:

  1. Sydnii... the important thing is that you are seeking.... and you are seeking yourself.... it all is a continuous growing process... whethter christian or pagan.... trust yourself... seek yourself... and all will be fine...
    PS: totally understand about enjoying God in all things at all times....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean about "building religion." That's what I saw when I was Christian, and that's what ultimately turned me away.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment! I love hearing others' ideas! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...