04 January 2010

Chants, Songs, and Prayers

I made a resolution to be more religious. Or maybe not. I don't remember what I said and I'm much too lazy to go look! On Monday, I received in the mail a book I ordered sometime after Christmas (yay for gift cards!) called "A Book of Pagan Prayer" by Ceisiwr Serith. In it he writes about the importance of prayers and offerings to us Pagans. Our gods aren't omniscient, they have better things to do than stick their nose in our business every hour of the day. The gods, ancestors, and spirits are akin to our fathers, mothers, sisters, brothers, cousins, friends, so why shouldn't we talk to them? As for offerings, he says these are important in closing the cycle. We witches see life, nature, and history as an endless loop: birth, life, death, rebirth; summer, fall, winter, spring, summer again. When we take what the gods freely give to us but offer nothing in return, we break the cycle. It should be, the gods give to us, we take from the gods, we give to the gods, the gods take from us, und so weiter. I think this book will be elemental in helping me get more in touch with the gods as well as introducing religion into Camden's life.

I spent quite a bit of time searching online today for chants and songs, too. Handy little things, these are, when one is in need of magic or even grounding. This page has chants, rhymes, songs, and couplets on numerous topics. Very handy for when I'm in need of a little magic with no time for a "proper ritual." And for me, that's generally all the time. lol I hope these will also be useful in introducing Camden to Paganism. I grew up with "Little Miss Muffet" and "London Bridge is Falling Down." Camden will too, along with rhymes like "She changes everything She touches: Everything She touches changes" and "We are a circle; within a circle; with no beginning; and never ending."

1 comment:

  1. Found several I liked. Back to the river, Blood of the ancients, Hail to the elements and Round and round. X.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment! I love hearing others' ideas! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...