05 May 2010

Pagan-Friendly Children's Books

Now that my Tuesday nights are free and we are no longer running helter skelter from sunup to sundown, I've started taking Camden to the library once a week. And while the public library here in the 'Ville is pretty small, it has a large enough children's section. Plus it has games and puzzles and puppets (oh my!) to play with, even though we can't check them out. But we can check out books, and we do! We've been averaging about 7 or 8 books a week, so far. Of course, we read them all the first night and then they're old for the next six days, until Tuesday rolls around again.



Tuesday night we went to a BBQ with some friends, so although we went to the library, we didn't have a chance to read through all the books. (Darn.) But! We got to read through them last night! Camden picks out most of the books, usually randomly pulling them off the shelves and saying "I want this one" or some facsimile thereof. One of the books he picked out is called Hoodwinked by Arthur Howard and is about a witch (gasp!) who is looking for a pet (familiar, perchance?), but since she likes all things creepy, it must be a creepy pet. However, all the pets she tries just don't work out for one reason or another... Until one shows up at her doorstep, one that she's convinced she does not want, until she realises that this is the perfect pet.



As we read this, I started thinking about books for children with a Pagan message. Hoodwinked is a good example of a book that contains a message, if you're looking for a message. I know there are a few books out there geared specifically towards Pagan parents who are raising their children on a Pagan path, but I don't think I'm going to find those books in my public library. The only other book that I can think of off the top of my head which contains a Pagan message (if you're looking for one) is There's No Such Place As Far Away by Richard Bach, in which a person travels with various birds to visit Little Rae on her birthday to give her a present.

What books do you read to your children/grandchildren/nieces/nephews/random kids off the street which contain the subtle coloring of Pagan ideals and beliefs? If they are your children and you're raising them to the path, do you discuss the Pagan slant one could put on the book?

1 comment:


  1. Henderson Elizabeth
    Dr joy is a trust worthy spell caster and he will be of great help to you. I never believed in spell casting but After 4 years of marriage my husband left me because I lost my womb, and i was unable to give birth to children. I felt like my life has come to an end, and i almost committed suicide, i was emotionally down for a very long time, but thanks to this spell caster called Dr joy whom i met online after my friend Becky Ross told me how he also helped her to bring back her husband in less than 2 days. I believed her and decided to give Dr joy a try and i contacted him on his email joylovespell@gmail.com. and explained my problems to him. He laughed and told me that In less than 2 days, my Husband will come back to me again, and that he will restore my womb and i will give birth to children. At first i thought it was a joke but i took courage and believed as Dr joy has said and it did happen just as this Great spell caster said, My husband called me and was crying, begging for forgiveness. I forgive him and today i am so glad that all worries and problems has gone away, and we are even happier than before, another good news is that i am pregnant now, and very soon we will have our baby. Dr joy is really a gifted and a powerful spiritual man and i will not stop publishing him because he is a wonderful man. I advice you all If you have a problem and you are looking for a real and genuine spell caster to solve all your problems just Contact Dr joy on his email on joylovespell@gmail.com. because he will always help you to solve all problems. Once again thank you Dr joy. Thank you, thank you.
    you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348100452479.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment! I love hearing others' ideas! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...